Powerpop Community's Journal|
[Most Recent Entries]
Below are the 20 most recent journal entries recorded in
Powerpop Community's LiveJournal:
[ << Previous 20 ]
[ << Previous 20 ]
|Friday, June 13th, 2008|
The Corner Laughers and The Orange Peels at:
The Make-out Room
3225 22nd St.
Fri., June 20.
|Monday, October 29th, 2007|
|Tuesday, September 25th, 2007|
|Tuesday, May 1st, 2007|
Wake Up Powerpop Community
I've been doing a music podcast--Suitcase Full of Dimes
(and if you really are the power pop lovers you say you are, you'll know what song that line is from!)--since last October and invite everyone here to check it out. I was just poking through the old posts here and was surprised to see a familiar band name pop up on goldenmoonbear
's post from September. I actually played The Corner Laughers
on a show last month.
And thanks to poppoppop
, I also checked out The Tattle Tales
, which is exactly the sort of music I want front and center on the podcast, and discovered they had a few tracks on the Podsafe Music Network
. So now I'll have
to play a track on Friday's show. Probably "Armageddon Girl" but don't hold me to that because I haven't listened to everything yet.
|Tuesday, January 30th, 2007|
Wanna Meet The Scruffs?
I just wanted to alert the LJ powerpop community to a criminally underappreciated band that you very likely would dig as much as I do.
Like Big Star, The Scruffs were a band of anglophiles from Memphis active in the 70's. And, also like Big Star, they recorded a classic album, "Wanna Meet the Scruffs?" that never got the attention it deserved. I encourage anyone who loves power pop to check out the sample clips on Amazon.
I think you will be glad you did.
p.s. I have no connection to this band other than being a fan.
|Sunday, November 19th, 2006|
So, I made an awesome podcast and all my LJ friends should check it out! You'll hear a lot of great bands and probably a few you don't already know about. Plus, my voice is hot.
Podcasting is fun!!!!
|Wednesday, September 27th, 2006|
|Friday, September 15th, 2006|
VOTE FOR THE TATTLE TALES!!!
We're a semi finalist in the huge Alternative Press Magazine contest and we really need EVERYONE's HELP!!!!
go to http://www.altpress.com/almostfamous
and vote for THE TATTLE TALES
You have to have an account but making one is literally so simple... just give them your email address and make up a user name... please! The 2 minutes it'll take to do all this could mean life or death in our future so please, please please do it!!!
ONLY VOTE ONCE PLEASE!!! but tell every single friend you have to do the same thing and vote for us, too!
This is a call to every friend, every band, every person we know and even those who don't!
If it says you're already logged in, just log out and hit the Join Now button!!!
- The Tattle Tales
|Wednesday, September 6th, 2006|
|Monday, June 19th, 2006|
|Sunday, June 4th, 2006|
Ari Shine w/ Tommy Keene
Hey LA power poppers, I am playing with Tommy Keene at Spaceland this Friday! Don't miss this show!
Spaceland w/ Tommy Keene (Los Angeles, CA)
Red Devil Lounge (San Francisco, CA)
Berbati's w/ Roy, Some By Sea (Portland OR)
SIP w/ Roy, Some By Sea (Salem, OR)
Sunset Tavern (Seattle, WA)
Mountain Bar w/ the Pretty Vicious (Los Angeles, CA)
Club 218 (Philadelphia, PA)
Trash Bar (Brooklyn, NYC)
International Pop Overthrow at the Knitting Factory (Los Angeles, CA)
|Friday, May 19th, 2006|
The Tattle Tales have a brand new album coming out on Slugger Records sometime next month. Here's a link to one of the brand new tracks off the new album : http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=790BDAE10578D52A
We'll also be on tour the entire month of July so check out our myspace page for dates!
Hope you like it!!
|Thursday, May 11th, 2006|
Check out a low-res stream of the new Eugene Edwards single, "Is It Any Wonder?"
It will be available for sale on various digital websites (iTunes, Rhapsody, etc.) in a few weeks, but if you want to preview it:http://www.flagshiprecordings.com
|Friday, April 7th, 2006|
Ari Shine ep of the day on absolute powerpop
Hi powerpop board people! I'm new to the site and looking forward to making friends! Great review on absolute powerpop. What a cool guy!
Now here's an impressive debut. Rocking and sounding like Armed Forces-era Elvis Costello crossed with Eugene Edwards, Ari Shine's debut EP Age/Occupation should appeal to just about everyone who reads this site.
The EP opens with "Crank It Out!", one of the best rockers you'll hear this year. You'll want to double check your calendar, though - it may leave you wondering whether it's 1977 or 2006. "Try a Little Harder" and the title track are also serious rockers, while "All For Yourself" is a high-quality power (pop) ballad.
You can stream the EP in its entirety at his site (just click the "play" symbol at the top). And it's being sold for a reasonable $6 at Not Lame. Low cost, high quality - can't beat that combination.
you guys can buy this at: www.cdbaby.com/cd/arishine
|Monday, March 6th, 2006|
|Thursday, February 2nd, 2006|
My band The Tattle Tales
have a new 6 song demo available for YOU for only a measly little 4 bucks (3 dollars at shows). We would REALLY appreciate it if you headed over to our Myspace page
and listened to 3 of the tracks!
We're not a band who screams or wears girls pants (well, Except anya, but she's a girl so I'm pretty sure that's allowed). We aren't looking to be on Drive thru or victory or some other bullshit label with a bunch of watered down bullshit bands with Death, Dying or Dies in their name. We're just a really catchy rock band who're looking to tour our asses off, make friends, meet bands and have you humming our songs while you're driving to work, making out or falling in love (aww).
So, if you dig us... cool! if not, no worries but you can leave your mean comments to yourself.
We're also playing a kick ass show tonight (thursday) with the mighty
@ Rutgers Student Center Livington. It's 3 bucks for people who don't go to the school. Also playing are the fabulous ergs. We open the show at 6:30!
Thanks for reading and please be our friend!
|Monday, January 30th, 2006|
|Sunday, October 23rd, 2005|
Though I know some people who were at Jem, and the traffic heading from Studio City to Hollywood made it evident that SOME people chose Gwen Stefani and BEP, mcbrennan
and I were close to front and center for one of the greatest power pop bands of the 70's, The Raspberries (featuring bouffant hairdon't lead singer Eric Carmen.)
Man, that was the best friggin' evening of music I have had in YEARS, though my feet were numb by the time it was over. The place felt packed, and I stood next to Kevin McDonald (KITH) and DESPERATELY wanted to ask him when the show was over if The Raspberries trumped The Guess Who (which for that night was a question that I am not sure I could honestly answer, despite my adoration for Burton, Randy and the boys.)
1. Eric Carmen went to a plastic surgeon who was determined to make him look a little like Eddie Money and a little like Paul Anka. There was a bit of Crazy Guggenheim in there too, and McB felt certain that there was a Paul WILLIAMS vibe as well, though since I know Paul W., I didn't see it ;)
2. Wally Bryson shares many facial features with Bette Midler, but when he took off his hat and bent at the waist into the fan, he was completely approximating the Edgar Winter Group's "They Only Come Out At Night" album cover.
3. They said the woman was Jennifer Lee (keys, tambourine, cowbell... COWBELL!!!!) but I was almost certain it was Mary Steenburgen.
4. Jim Bonfanti did not miss ONE step/beat/note on the drums all night. He was so sensational that I thought there was a chance he was animatronic.
5. These guys must have worshipped Todd's "Something/Anything" very close to the recording of the first Raspberries album, as "I Can Remember" totally rips off the intro to "It Wouldn't Have Made Any Difference" and of course, The Raspberries have the second best song with the title "I Saw The Light" from 1972.
6. There was one total stinker in the set, and the good news is that Eric changed a few (not many) lyrics and a note or two and ended up having a solo hit with "Change Of Heart" years later.
7. What idiot REALLY wanted to hear "Hungry Eyes?" BLECH!
8. I was way impressed with the length of the set, but even more impressed with the fact that I actually went home wondering how they could have NOT done "Drivin' Around," "Cruisin' Music" and the epic puker, "On The Beach."
9. I got a vibe that Wally and Eric... well, still aren't having a lovefest.
10. I wish EVERY night could be Raspberries reunion night, but like I saw them at Carnegie Hall in September of 1973, I wish Stories could have played too!
|Wednesday, August 10th, 2005|
Hello, I'm just looking for recommendable powerpop in Michigan anywhere...
[pretty quick request... unsure if there is going to be an answer here... though hoping so...]
|Monday, August 1st, 2005|